What is Mouth Cancer?
Cancer or uncontrolled cell division of any part of the mouth is called
This cancer can affect gums, tongue, lips, inner lining of cheeks and roof or floor of mouth. Since this cancer occurs inside the mouth, its even called as oral cancer and oral cavity cancer.
What are the Symptoms Shown by Mouth Cancer Patients?
- Non healing sores
- A lump or thickening of the inner lining of mouth
- A whitish and reddish patch inside the mouth
- Feeling that someone has caught you from the throat
- Poorly fitting dentures
- Tongue pain
- Jaw pain or stiffness
- Difficult and painful chewing of any edible substance
- Difficult and painful swallowing
- Sore throat
- Loose teeth
Mouth cancer just like any other cancerous cell occurs when there is uncontrolled division of cells in lips and mouth due to mutation of DNA or any other mutation factors. With time they might metastasize to other areas of the mouth and areas of the head and neck as well. This usually starts from the thin flat squamous cells of the lips and the inner lining of the mouth. Almost all the oral cancers are squamous cell carcinomas.
What are the Types of Mouth Cancer?
Since our mouth has got many different parts and area, its important for us to know the types of cancer our mouth get affected with:
- Buccal mucosa cancer
- Mouth Floor cancer
- Gum cancer
- Lip cancer
- Roof of mouth cancer
- Salivary gland cancer
- Tongue cancer
These are the main types of carcinomas of mouth.
What are the Factors that can Increase Risk of Mouth Cancer?
- Tobacco used in any form and kind like cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco and snuffs
- Heavy drinking of alcohol
- Excessive exposure of sun to your lips
- A sexually transmitted virus known as human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Previous cancer history or radiation therapy at the head or neck area
Please don’t make yourself away from all the delicious food present on this earth….eat healthy and avoid smoking and alcohol which might make you avoid your favorite delicacies.