What is Glomus Tumor – Locations of Tumor, Symptoms and Treatment
Glomus is a very rare form of tumor which has a benign vascular nature. The glomus unit is a type of neuro myoarterial structure whose function is to regulate circulation of the skin. This is found in many parts of body like:
- Finger tip pulp
- Base of the foot
Tip of the Spine:
Here it arises from the glomus coccygem.
- Entire subungual site of the body.
This tumor is first characterized by the presence of lesions and more then 75 percent of the lesions appear on the hand. The lesion, depending on its site of origin shows bone erosion and sometimes invasion.
has been seen in the locations of body where generally glomus doesn’t occur. Those are called as unusual sites like:
- Chest wall
This cancer arises very rarely directly from the bone. The lesions are more frequently occurring during the fourth and fifth of life, however, it can occur at any age and at any site. This
affects the women three times more than that of men.
Clinical Evidences and Symptoms of Glomus Tumor
This tumor is clinically characterized by:
- Sensitivity to cold
- Severe pain which is localized and gives a burning and bursting sensation. The reason behind this type of pain is the presence of nerve fibers which contains pain neurotransmitter substance called P at the tumor site.
- Localized tenderness
- As per Radiology reports, they are circumscribed osteolytic lesion.
- CT scans observes a non specific mass of subungual.
- MRI reports is not very useful ones as they just show dark and delineated mass. However they are useful in the detection of soft tissue lesions.
What are the Treatment Options for GlomusTumor?
Surgical excision is the best treatment so far which is being used for this condition. Repair of the nail bed must be done after the surgical removal of lesions. This relief’s the pain immediately after the surgery.