Top 10 Characteristics of Osteoid Osteoma
Cancer tumors are of two types, namely, the benign and the malignant. While the former is not life threatening, the latter can risk life.
is a benign tumor affecting the cells of the bones. Young men are three times more at the risk of developing this tumor than women. This article tries to gain further insight on this condition.
Top 10 Characteristics of Osteoid Osteoma:
- The tumor is generally less than 1.5 cms in diameter and can develop in any bone of the body.
- Knees, vertebrae and long bones are the locations frequently affected by this tumor.
- Craniofacial bones and mandible are the less known sites for the tumor to appear.
- The patient complains of a constant pain for 24 hours in these locations. However, the aching increases severely at night.
- Radiographs can find the tumor along with other diagnostic techniques like computer tomography scan and magnetic resonance imaging.
- In most of the cases, it is difficult to diagnose benign osteoblastoma from this tumor.
- Surgery can be performed if the tumor is found out in its early stage and removed on time.
- The pre- and post-operative phases of the surgery can be monitored using a diagnostic technique known as radionuclide scanning.
- The pain associated with this condition can be reduced by taking either aspirin or NSAIDs depending upon the severity.
- It is advisable to start taking these medications only under the prescription of bona fide health care professionals.
The condition of
gets resolved within 33 months, the reasons for which are unknown yet.